Friday 22 February 2019

SOTA SETUP

GETTING READY FOR SOTA

I've been prepping my SOTA Kit. I found a nice little rucksack which fits in the radio-gear perfectly. Obviously, this will no doubt change as my experience grows and after I've hit a few hurdles. It's a LOWEPRO 150, but there are LOTS of camera rucksacks which would be suitable.

But for now, it's a case of finding  storage for my Elecraft KX3 and the Kenwood D74E.


In addition, I need to store a couple of beefy batteries, headphones, various leads, microphones, a compass and a few odd RF connectors/adapters.

I've also thought about using a powered speaker instead of the headphones. That way I'm not draining the KX3. The speaker I'm referring to is very light, very flat and has a very good (12hr) battery life.


Finally, there's the antenna. A flap on the front cover of the rucksack will accomodate my SOTABEAMS Dual Bander (20/40M) wire. Obviously, I carry a fibreglass pole with me too, but that sits in one of the side-carriers.


 


PS : I've since tested rucksack with my FT-818ND, G90 and IC-705.

No comments: