Monday 25 February 2019

RADIO RALLY

WMRC RALLY 2019

Today I decided to have a ride out on the bike to the local radio club's rally in Leigh. Not been to one of these events for years and was looking forward to it. Needless to say, this wasn't going to be a big event with manufacturers exhibiting, but it should still be fun.

When I arrived it was heaving with people and it was quite a job to get to the front of the stands to see the items on sale. Mostly old used equipment as you'd expect, but I did see a few lovely old rigs, and there was one little radio in particular that I would have LOVED to have bought - an FT-290R.

It was the Mk.1 version and was a one-owner from new minter!!! I've never seen anything so new looking and it even had the handbag style carry-case unopened in the box. Wow, if I didn't already have the Mk.2 I would have bought the old girl.

Anyway, all I ended up buying was a few connectors and adapters and a lovely little 50W soldering station for the grand sum of £7. My mates were telling me to try it before leaving the venue, but for that money, I wasn't gonna argue with the vendor's claims.

When I got home I tried it out and it worked a treat :-)


No comments: