Wednesday 21 August 2019

FROM WINTER HILL

POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION?

I was up at a very popular HAM spot at the weekend called Matchmoor Lane adjacent to Winter Hill and many a time I've seen amateurs and SWLers with very directional antennas pointing "roughly south". So when I did something similar, I got to thinking about the local visible landmarks and wondered where I'd actually be pointing if I aimed for these landmarks with my beam.

This is all very rough I know, but I was just curious, so when I went home I looked it up on Google Maps. I do understand that just a few degrees one way or the other has a dramatic effect on the bearing but nonethless, you can get a very broad idea where to aim if you have some landmarks to work from.

This spot is where most HAMS park up....

From this spot, it is very easy to make out the HILTON HOTEL in Manchester. It stands out like a sore thumb even on miserable days, so lets use that landmark to begin with. Stretching a line from this point at WinterHill to the Hilton and beyond will eventually get you looking at the South East coast of England and around the border of Belgium and France.



Now turning to the right and focusing on JODRELL BANK which is another very visible landmark most days, will get you firing toward Southampton.


Now turn further to your right and you will very easily see Bolton Flounderers football ground. Pointing there will have you heading in the general direction of Mid Wales...


Is this information of any use? I don't know, lol. But unless you have a reliable compass and know which bearing to head for, I guess it's better than nothing 😃😃😃

No comments: