Thursday, 13 August 2026

MY NEXT NEW RADIO!

Regular visitors to this blog will be more than aware that most of my radio activity is QRP based and outdoors - I spend very little time in the shack - almost none during hot weather ☀️! When I do play radio indoors, it’s usually on the wonderful Hermes Lite 2 or the fabulous Elad FDM Duo. I’m over the moon with both radios ❤️❤️

So why then, am I considering a new radio? Is it to replace one of the aforementioned rigs? Or is it to replace my IC-705, G90, FX-4CR or my QMX PLUS?  None of the above! I’m actually committing to buying the new ICOM X-026, which (by all accounts) is the modern replacement for the ubiquitous IC-7100.

Needless to say, there’s a world of speculation about what the X-026 will look like and what it will provide. We’ll find out a whole lot more at the end of August when Icom (hopefully) reveal further details at the Tokyo Ham Fair.

I think they’re going to feature a pop-off front display, but I’d much prefer them to keep it more like the original 7100 with the chunky (and quirky) desktop unit. That thing was so darned versatile, but I do appreciate that a lot of people weren’t as enamoured as I was. Many people buy this type of radio for mobile use and they struggle to mount that head in their car/truck.

I guess we’ll soon find out. As for features, I’m guessing it will be 100W on HF and 50 elsewhere. Hopefully it will include the 4M band for the UK and will have much extended RX capability, including the Airband. I don’t expect it to have an inbuilt ATU though.

Needless to say, it will have DSTAR, WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS as standard (unlike Yaesu’s recent lack-lustre offering) 🙄. I will update this page as I find out more (eg real) information. Excited!!

Tom, M7MCQ

No comments: