Sunday 4 August 2019

DSTAR & RASPBERRY PI

WANT A PIECE OF PI?

I have my DSTAR running through a DVAP Dongle because I just can't reach a repeater on my Kenwood D74. I set it up on my "big" PC and everything was fine, but I was always uneasy about having a big PC with a 900W PSU running all day just so I could use a 10mW TX dongle. So I bought a Raspberry Pi V3 B+ with the idea that I could use it to run the DVAP. How wrong was I?

Looking on the net it seems that other people are doing it and you can download an 'image' to transfer to an SDCARD. Simples! Except it just hangs when I switch on the Pi. Seems the available disk-images were written for older Pi's and there's some glitch when run on a B+.

Okay, so after hours and hours (spread over many days) of messing around, I decided to forget the idea and try something else. So I look ed into something called "Pi-Star". I sign up, become a member and install the software. Took a bit of time, but eventually I got it configured correctly.

When I switched the radio on, sure enough I could hear people talking through REF030 Charlie, but sadly, they could not hear me. I tried all sorts of things and eventually gave up. I've just got better things to do with my time!

In the end I decided to connect the DVAP Dongle to an energy efficient laptop in a corner of the lounge. The computer goes into sleep mode and very quickly wakes up when called on. In the end it's a much simpler solution - and it works!!! 



No comments: