Saturday 20 January 2024

COLIBRINANO AND IC-705

I normally use my RSPdx as a panadapter for linking to my transceivers, but today I connected the Expert Electronics ColibriNANO. I've not used it for a while and I'd forgotten how good it was. 


I used my Icom IC-705 connected to an EFHW antenna going through an LDG Z-100PLUS ATU .  The Nano and the 705 were linked via the ExpertSDR2 software, using the built-in ECATV1, but you can also use OmniRig if you wish to.


The Nano's ExpertSDR2 software is excellent and it's the perfect match for the IC-705. Setting it all up is as simple as connecting a USB lead between the PC and 705, connecting a 3.5mm stereo to stereo lead between the 705 and the tuner and finally, plugging the Nano into the PC's USB slot. This is what I love about the IC-705 - everything is just so darned easy - even a fool like me can figure it out!

Below is a brief video capture of my contact with N1W in the States...



To prevent the front-end of the ColibriNANO being damaged during a transmission, I use an MFJ-1708B-SDR which can work in two different ways. It can be activated by using a control-cable from your radio's PTT circuitry or you can rely on the MFJ's RF Sensing circuitry.  I started off by using the latter with the 705, but I wasn't happy with the slight delay in the MFJ kicking in, so I decided to make a up a control-lead.
 


Looking in the Advanced Manual I found information on the SEND/ALC jack plug and could see (as I already suspected) that one simply needed to use the Tip and Sleeve, so I cut the end off a 3.5mm stereo-stereo lead and fitted a Phono connector. It worked fine.

So that's it! It's a joy to use the amazing 705 with the fabulous ColibriNANO.




73, Tom, M7MCQ.

3 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Wow Tom, this looks very advanced. Excellent use of a SDR together with a radio. I guess it expands the possebilities of the receiver? And you can view it easily on a large screen. Very nice! 73, Bas

MadDogMcQ said...

Thanks Bas. It’s far from complex, or I wouldn’t be able to do it, LOL.

Hope you’re okay 👍

73, Tom.

VE9KK said...

Good morning Tom, you really have shown how to bring puzzle out and put them all together in a nice neat package. I have seen the MFJ unit and never read anything about it. Nice to see you are using it and that it works well for you.
Very nice write up,
73
Mike
VE9KK