Saturday 15 July 2023

DJI MAVIC SHOULDER BAG - FT-818ND

THE PERFECT FT-817/818 BAG?


The official Yaesu shoulder bag (CSC-83) for the FT-818/FT-817 is more of a cover than anything else - like one of those leatherette things you slide over your handheld to stop it getting scratched. In all other respects, it’s next to useless.

I’ve been looking around for an alternative for ages and finally found one. It’s actually a Drone Shoulder Bag from DJI and I got it absolutely free while at a Radio Rally. I have to admit that I’m one of those people who’s a little obsessed over bags and boxes - weird I know!

At first I didn’t know what to use it for because it had a padded partition in the middle of the bag which was no doubt perfect for the relevant drone, but made it useless for a radio. Examining it carefully, I could see that the partition was stitched in, so I began the task of unstitching it - and it was surprisingly easy!

With the partition removed, the drone bag became infinitely more useful and I was pleased to discover that the Yaesu FT-818 fitted inside perfectly with the control panel facing upwards, giving access to the display, buttons and dials. It also meant that the front BNC antenna connector was usable. The only slight negative was that the rear SO-239 was not accessible, but in reality, I would always remove the radio from the bag if I was going to setup for HF work.

In addition to the radio, there’s room for a surprising amount of accessories including the rubber ducks, a Whizz Loop or similar, power cables,  earphones, spare batteries and something like the Elecraft T1 tuner.

 

You can find these drone bags (or derivatives) all over eBay for next to nothing and they are very well made, with weather-proof zips and decent padding.

Well recommended!!

73, Tom, M7MCQ.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to get one. You are right, the actual Yaesu bag is not great at all. A bin liner with press studs.

Anonymous said...

Velcro on the ones I have. The drone bag looks good.