Monday 27 December 2021

SAMLEX SEC-1235G UPGRADE/MOD

BACK TO FRONT


As much as I like the SEC-1235G power supply, I do think it would benefit from having an outlet on the front of the case as well as the rear panel. So I decided to open it up to see if there was any room to fit an Anderson PowerPole socket. 
It's quite a large case, so I thought there'd be plenty of space.

Well it turns out there's not that much room after all, but with some careful measuring I found a spot where it would go and as it turned out, that spot looked pretty good. I got it so that the fixing screws would align perfectly with the white line on the front panel.

Cutting out the aperture for the power socket was, of course, the trickiest part of the job, but thankfully, it has a pretty large flange, so any 'sins' are easy to hide.  I used a Dremel and a metal-cutting-disc. I wasn't sure if the power cable would need it or not, but I fitted a ferrite bead anyway.

Once it was all back together, I applied a little black paint to the fixing screws so they didn't stand out so much (I had no black set-screws). This little job took just a few minutes to complete and was a really worthwhile upgrade - one I think Samlex should consider doing 😂

CAUTION!!!

Beware of the risk of electrocution
when working with high voltages
and be cautious with large capacitors!




Modifying your PSU will void your warranty!

73, Tom, M7MCQ.

1 comment:

VE9KK said...

Good evening Tom, very nice job on adding the Anderson connector. I have an Astron power supply 30 amp switching. I am not happy with the power connectors but up to this point I have not ventured into the supply to see if I can change them to Anderson.
73,
Mike
VE9KK