Tuesday 17 March 2020

TRY A LITTLE HELP

GO THE EXTRA MILE

When you're new to something, it's so nice to get a little help from someone. Without it, you can often end up feeling frustrated and maybe even a bit dumb! Depending on the complexity of the subject, it can even make you feel like quitting altogether.

I'm not just talking about being a newly licensed operator - it could be that you're an advanced operator trying something completely new such as digital modes. Whatever it is, it's made all the easier when someone steps up to the plate and says "Hey, can I help you with that"?

I recently identified someone as being a bit of an expert in one of the modes of operation and approached him for some help. Even though he was a local operator, he pretty much slammed his door in my face (no, I didn't really go knocking on his door, lol).

What would it take to just give up a few minutes of your time to save a fellow-ham hours, days or even weeks of struggling? It seems to me that there's not many people out there who are willing to offer their help to others, so I am vowing to myself to be different and to offer others help whenever I am able to.

Thankfully, I have found a couple of locals who went out of their way to help me in certain areas and boy what a difference it makes! It means that you can focus on the enjoyment of radio instead of getting hung up on the technicalities.

Don't get me wrong, learning is all part of the fun, but oftentimes, radio equipment has so many unusual vagaries to which logic does not apply, lol. A pointer in the right direction from a mentor can make all the difference.

A big thank you to all the helpers out there!


No comments: