Monday 14 October 2019

WSJT-X & FT8

FT8 AND THE YAESU FT-DX3000
Starting out with FT8

Today I decided to have a play with FT8. I didn't even know what it was, but I kept hearing about it, so I thought I should educate myself. If I spent a couple of hours learning about it and decided it wasn't for me, then at least I could comment on it with some knowledge of how it actually worked.

The first thing was to download the WSJT-X software which (at the time of writing) is at Version 2. With that installed, I needed to connect my Yaesu FT-DX3000 to my PC with a USB-B lead (after fitting ferrites at both ends).

Before plugging the USB Lead in, I had to make sure that I downloaded and installed the USB Driver from Yaesu's website.


Once I'd got the Yaesu driver and WSJT-X software installed, I had some issues getting the radio to communicate with the WSJT-X software. It took quite a long time to figure it out and I'll write about that tomorrow, but for now, let's just skip forward. It's worth pointing out that most people drop their power significantly when transmitting data for fear of overloading their equipment. I am limited to 10W anyway (Foundation Licence) so it doesn't effect me, but I've heard that it might be a good idea - as a maximum - to use the equivalent power that your radio is comfortable with when in AM mode (which is 25W on the FT-DX3000).

Remember - this is a weak signal mode, not QRP, so use what you feel is necessary.

With the software running, I could see stations being received in the left hand window and some were calling CQ (highlighted in green). I doubled-clicked one to respond and the right-hand window confirmed that. From that point on, the QSO is automated - the software spends 15 seconds receiving and then 15 seconds transmitting. Assuming the two stations can reach one another, the software automatically sends and receives signal reports, callsigns and locations, then asks you if you wish to log the confirmed call.

Sounds easy huh? Well it is! But you do have to do some work and there's no guarantee that you will make a contact at all. You can work virtually all the bands and it's good fun chasing rare contacts that appear briefly.

The program's Signal Reports confused me at first, but then I found a dB~RST conversion chart...


MORE LATER...

Okay, so it's day-2 and the first couple of QSL Cards arrived in my eqsl inbox. There'll no doubt be a lot more when I upload the Log file from WSJT to EQSL.


While I'm here I might as well write down the Yaesu FT-DX3000 Menu Settings for FT8 operation to make it easy for owners of that rig. It's also worth mentioning that my rig has a USB port and a soundcard built-in, so setting up was a whole lot simpler than if none were present.

FT-DX3000 MENU NUMBERS

011 - Meter Type Select : Bar
037 - Cat Select : USB
038 - Cat Rate : 38,400bps
040 - Cat RTS : Enable
065 - PC Keying : DTR
075 - Data In Select : USB
076 - Data Mic Gain : 25
077 - Data Out Level : 10
078 - Data Vox Gain : 30
103 - SSB Mic Select - USB

One thing I haven't checked since playing FT8 is whether or not I need to change Menu 103 back to "FRONT" for normal SSB operation. I suspect that I will have to do that. I'll report back. Update : yes you do need to change Menu-103 to "FRONT" if you want to use your normal microphone for rag-chewng.

I'm now looking forward to trying FT8 with other antennas.



2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Tom, great you tried FT8 for a change. I can't hardly imagine any HAM that didn't try digital modes but forget you are quite new in this hobby. I've been on digimodes since 1998 and still like it. It is interesting to see that the once populair PSK31 has evolved in the more sensitive modes like JT65 and JT9 and now in the less sensitive modes FT8/FT4 which are much faster. I hope you have a lot of fun experimenting. By the way, I have bad experiences with the WSJT-X CAT control and always use HRD for CAT control, WSJT-X is connected to HRD in that case. It always works...73, Bas

MadDogMcQ said...

Many thanks Bas - I appreciate your input. Like you say, I am new to all this but I am very much enjoying the experimentation. I keep looking at HRD but £99 for one year updates/support seems a bit too much. Maybe I'll look at it again sometime.