Tuesday 1 October 2019

PLEASE CONFIRM QSO!!

SPECIAL EVENT STATION CONFIRMATIONS

Being new to this hobby, I am perhaps a bit "over keen" on getting contacts logged and confirmed. I fully understand and accept that many operators do not choose to keep a log - that's fine - there's no licence requirement to keep a log (not in the UK anyway).

So putting the over-eagerness to one side, I don't think it's too much to expect Special Event Stations to respond. But in my experience, not only do Special Event Stations not respond, most of them don't even use QRZ's Logging system!

Now I'm not daft enough to think that every operator in the world will choose the same LogBook as me, but I do expect Special Event Stations to provide a path for QRZ-Loggers to log their QSO's alongside the 62,000,000+  QRZ records!!

I think it's fair to say that most operators turn to QRZ.com to see who they're talking to and I don't think it unfair to expect to find an SES or Club callsign to be found registered there and to provide pertinent information regarding the Special Event or Club.

But what I have found is that some SES don't even register their callsign on QRZ ahead of the event - some register, but opt out of the Logging option. A few do register and opt into the Logging but then don't respond to confirmation requests - they're probably the worst of them all.

Here's two examples of Special Events - BIWOTA 2019 and LOTA 2019...




You can see here that despite me participating in their events, only 15% responded to my request for a confirmation - and that's after me pestering via email!!   Over half of them don't even bother participating in QRZ logging so I can't even request a confirmation!



In the next event, only 1 person confirmed the contact with me. The vast majority of SES operators didn't participate in QRZ Logging, therefore denying me any chance to get a confirmed contact.

Surely if you are a Special Event Station and you register your callsign with QRZ, you should activate the Logging option too. Evein if you normally use something like LOTW, it only takes a few minutes to set up a QRZ log and have it automatically port over the adif to QRZ.



Or am I talking rubbish? I am after all, new to this.

4 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Strange that SES will not register at QRZ.com. Indeed there should be some path to get the QSO confirmed. But my experience is that most SES stations will send paper QSL to all contacts in their log automatically. You only need some patience. Receiving a QSL through bureau can take a year (or two!). Good luck. 73, Bas

Unknown said...

Well we pre-registered, and I uploaded the GB0EUL log, some 28 stations have confirmed so far out of 200 contacts on the day. Your log entry on your side is 1 hour out, so you probably had a BST entry logged, instead of UTC. I have replied to your email. Regards Richie. BTW, that KXPA100 is still stuffed, just sitting on shelf at the mo until I find the desire to look into it some more. Shame really.

MadDogMcQ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MadDogMcQ said...

Hi Richie, I can see that the QSO is now confirmed - thank you. I'm gutted for you that the KXPA100 is not working properly. Hope you get it sorted out soon.