Saturday 8 June 2019

FLEX YOUR MUSCLES

FLEX 3000 SDR

I use my computer all the time. As soon as I get home from work I switch it on and when I 'play radio', I invariably want to control the radio from the PC using the manufacturers software or Ham Radio Deluxe, etc. 

Another thing that I do is run software to provide me with a good panadapter and waterfall. Normally I use SDRPLAY UNO via my RSP1A receiver. It does a fabulous job too, but I have to be careful not to blow the front end of it when transmitting on my radio. I protect it by using an MFJ-1708B antenna switch. So in this configuration, I have a transceiver, an ATU, an SDR receiver, a computer and an "RF-Sensing" switch to protect the receiver during transmissions. Additionally I will also be running logging software.




 

 

So what's the point of all this? Well I recently decided that it might be a good idea to remove the Icom IC-7100 from the shack and put it in the truck. Then I have the perfect 1-box solution when out and about -  HF, 50, 70, 144, 430, DSTAR on HF & VHF.


So what would replace it in the shack?? Well the Alinco DR-735E would take car of my 2/70 needs (plus airband listening) and I thought that a FLEX 3000 would be the ideal HF solution. DSTAR can be done in the shack with my Kenwood D74.

So Flex 3000 it is then. It's relatively cheap and has a brilliant reputation as a good radio. It's compact (in terms of it's very low profile) and it has a built-in ATU. It's also 100W output. It comes with computer control software which includes a panadapter and waterfall. So basically, it replaces a lot of bulk and cables. It also means I can avoid antenna switches and can go directly into the radio with the antenna, providing the best possible signal path.




The Flex-3000 is a very high performance transceiver and has excellent reviews from fellow hams on EHAM REVIEWS.  I'm looking forward to it arriving. When it's set up in the shack, I'll do a little write-up about it. Meanwhile, here's the radio's operating screen. It's one of many really, because you can choose from a wide range of skins and layouts...
FLEXRADIO  POWER SDR





No comments: