Thursday 18 April 2019

NEW HOTAS

ThrustMaster HOTAS WartHog


Not radio related, I know, but my love of  Flight Simulation is what led me to radios in the first place because I had to buy a radio to listen to the AirBand.

I was previously using CH Products FighterStick & Pro Throttle but some of the pots were spiking and causing lots of problems in-flight. I tried to clean them up using switch cleaner but it didn't help. Then I saw this bargain on eBay...


Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog

The ThrustMaster HOTAS WartHog cost about £300 new, so I was very eager to get to this guy's house and take them from him! They were in lovely condition and had no faults. Maybe the stick is a bit stiffer than when it was new, but that's easy to resolve.

I've actually had a set of these before and before them I had the "COUGAR" version which is very similar but with far fewer buttons and switches. The WartHog version has brought many enhancements.

The very best thing about this Hotas is that they are truly Plug&Play when using DCS WORLD A-10C in particular. They are virtually identical to the A-10 setup and as soon as you enter the cockpit, everything works just like the real thing! No programming required (although you can use their comprehensive software to tailor it if you like).

Well actually, I did change the role of the TRIM hat so that it became my 360 View control. In a simulation, being able to quickly look around is far more important than trimming up!

The WartHog is made from metal and weighs in at over 14lbs!! Construction is top quality and the important axes use HallEffect AccuRate Technology Magnetic Sensor system. It employs: 16-bit precision (65536 x 65536 values), with no gimbals (cardan joints). So 'dirty pots' are a thing of the past!

Anyway, here's some photos of the beasts.....







No comments: