Monday 25 March 2024

APPLIANCE OPERATOR

I've become aware that there are operators out there who refer to some other hams as "Appliance Operators". This is clearly meant as a derogatory slur on the ability of these 'lesser mortals' to do anything more than use off-the-shelf equipment. 

Truly worthy hams always take the difficult path - investing time and effort in gaining a deeper understanding of electronics, enabling them to design and build their own equipment.

This mocking expression obviously makes them feel superior but it doesn't take into account the fact that many hams (especially those relatively new to the hobby) just don't currently have time to invest in deep study - maybe they have a family and need to assign a large portion of their leisure time to their spouse and children.

Maybe they have a full-time, demanding, stressy job too, which impacts on the amount of free time they have. Maybe they have a few other hobbies in addition to radio. Or maybe they just don't want to do much more than go down to the shops and buy a transceiver off the shelf and enjoy a simple bit of chin-wagging with someone across the globe!

I find it quite annoying when I see these sort of attitudes, especially when the same people are always the least helpful to newcomers and would rather see the hobby die a slow, lingering death than reach out to someone with a few words of kindness, encouragement and help. 

Don't get me wrong - there's nothing worse than someone who just wants everything handing to them on a plate - but when someone is looking for  a bit of a leg-up, then why not try to help them??

Thankfully, for each one of this type of person, there are twice as many positive operators who are kind, helpful and eager to encourage growth in the hobby.



Whinge over!

73, Tom.


3 comments:

VE9KK said...

Good morning Tom, people will be people I guess. In other areas of life I have found the same thing. When I was working for a living there were those who tried to impress you with more degrees than you. Lots of fancy talk and taking the long way around to solve the same problem...but only hoping to impress those around them.
I know they are out there and I choose to ignore them.
73,
Have a good week
Mike
VE9KK

QRP - When you care to send the very least! said...

Tom,

Great post! Agree 100%

When I was first licensed back in to late 70's, I did not have a mentor to guide me along the way. I learned by doing and by making mistakes (tons!) and learning from them. If I can help someone honestly having difficulty I will. But there also comes a time when the solution to a problem is so apparent and you can see the person asking for help doesn't even want to try by "Googling it". That can be annoying. After a while it becomes apparent who really wants to learn and who just wants answers.

72 de Larry W2LJ

MadDogMcQ said...

Absolutely Mike! Nothing better in their lives than to mock others.

Anyway, hope you're all well.

73, Tom, M7MCQ.