Monday 11 December 2023

OFCOM LICENSING CHANGES

CHANGES IN 2024

Just seen the 'Overview Of Key Changes' as announced by Ofcom and for me, there's some useful changes. The amount of power I can use will increase from 10W to 25W PEP which will probably be welcomed by many, but since all my focus and interest is on HF QRP operation, it doesn't really benefit me. Having said that, 25W on VHF and UHF will be quite a useful boost.

A more useful change for Foundation Licensees is the ability to operate remotely using the internet. I occasionally operate remotely from home - sitting in the conservatory accessing the radio in the shack - but can now do it from anywhere in the world. That's cool.

I can also add the "E" RSL to my callsign while operating in England. I can't think why I'd want to except to maybe attract a little more attention on FT8 until everyone gets used to seeing it.

Another handy change will be that I'll be able to allow unlicensed individuals operate my radio equipment under direct supervision. That will really help operators to promote amateur radio.

For most repeaters, beacons and gateways you will no longer require an NoV. Licensees will have to carry out an interference assessment to prove that they have minimised the risk of interference to other users. For powers above 5W, a call sign must be obtained from the RSGB. This will probably be viewed in equal measures of joy and sadness, lol.

Foundation License holders will be allowed to build their own equipment and access the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands with a maximum power of 2W. Of zero interest to me currently.

And finally, a new DATA STATION mode of operation will be introduced to allow the authorisation of other data systems. I think this relates to stuff like APRS, Packet, etc.

So, no bad news there for me - happy days! When the green light is given for these changes, novices are strongly advised to read the small print of the new license and seek advice from knowledgeable amateurs or local clubs before marching into experimentations.


Finally, may I invite you to take a quick look at Ian’s Blog relating to the NoV bit? He’s extremely knowledgeable in this area. 

NOTE: On the very first day of this Ofcom announcement, people are already in disagreement as to what these changes actually mean in real terms. Time will hopefully clear the fog, so in the meantime, exercise caution and seek advice.

73, Tom, M7MCQ.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ian’s blog is incorrect regarding Gateways. You don’t need Ofcom approval to run them on 70cm, you can just do it. See pages 74-5 of Statement

g0vgs said...

Hi, I have requested clarification on this from OFCOM and the response is now updated on my blog. Ian