Tuesday 10 September 2019

YAESU FT3D

NEW FUSION RADIO

I had previously tried a Yaesu FT-400XD radio and the matching HRI-200 which I just didn't get along with. I tried allsorts to get it working, even calling upon the help of two local advanced operators who couldn't figure it out and so I came to the conclusion that I didn't want to work so hard on a hobby.

Anyway, having got shut of the 400, I decided to get something more compact - in the form of a handheld Fusion radio. Looking around online, I could see that the new FT3D from Yaesu was probably the best choice and so I opted for that one.

It's quite a small radio compared to my Kenwood D74 and is extremely light. It has a lovely colour-screen and it's also touch-sensitive which is nice. I find touch-screens very intuitive - you press the thing you want to change and up pops your options. You can't get easier than that. Other menu items are also pretty simple to figure out and up to now, I've not had to read the manual (although it's early days).

After a visit to my friend (G0UXF), I determined that I could easily access various rooms via his SHARK-RF dongle. I could not, however, access local Gateways - they must have been off or out of range. I'll need to look further into that, but first of all I needed to alter my Registration Details on Yaesu's Wires-X website. That takes a few days to go through apparently.

No comments: